Monday, June 6, 2016

Costumed Characters

When I was little the only time we got to play dress up was homecoming week at school and Halloween.  These days clothes are costumes.  From jackets that zip over your head and face that look like Darth Vader to hoodies for My Little Pony's Rainbow Dash.  They're cute and fun!  For kids and grown ups!  I want to get them so I can wear them all the time!  I'm so excited that it's not just for kids anymore.  I mean, just a few weeks ago Chewbacca Mom, Candace Payne, went insanely viral.  Everyone flipped because she was so excited to have a mask that made the Chewbacca noise when she moved her mouth. I still laugh till I cry.  Not really over the mask but the joy it brought to her actually brought joy to millions of people (155,492,990 Views as of today).  Like she said, it truly is the Simply Joys.

So here we are in June, right.  Both of our boys have birthdays.  No, we didn't plan it.  I've been asked a lot.  They are exactly 5 years and 7 days apart (well and a few hours) but no not planned out that way.  The youngest is turning 11 and he's one of many who are nuts about this Undertale game that  has throwback late 1980's graphics. Apparently, this was a crowfunded campaign that received over $57,000 backing, took nearly 3 years to complete and has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam.  Toby Fox, his three brothers and Temmie Chang not only wrote the game but did it on RPG Maker 2000 and Toby Fox, himself, composed all the music.  It's nuts.  Games like this in the 80's were short lived but now they're the bee's knees.  The 11 yr old is crazy about it.  Crazy.  He plays it all the time.  When he's not playing it, he wants to listen to the soundtrack on my phone.  He knows all the characters, their names, where they came from, everything they've ever done on every run of the game, ANNND he's watched nearly ever video on youtube of every other kid in the known universe playing the game.

Back to the birthday.  So now he wants to dress like Sans and Papyrus, a couple of the main characters.  The eldest boy is 16 and he says we should get him some kind of Sans costume.  There's not one but he can cos-play it pretty easily!  It's a skeleton kid wearing a blue hoodie, (technically everything is black and white in the game so this is from fan art) with black shorts and pink slippers.  He also would need skeleton gloves and mask.  I've tried to find everything from plushies to plastic toys and I'm not having great luck.  No crochet patterns available, those that have made them in crochet or sewed dolls have closed their commission sales for a while.  All of them.  I found some great tshirts but they're in Lithuania and take 2-3 weeks to get here.  Considering that's when his b'day is, um, no.

I'm sure we'll figure something out.  sigh.  The crap we do for our kids.
Anyway, I guess that's about it.  Not much going on this month aside from birthdays, an appointment or two, my uncle is having surgery and we're having our 17th anniversary (which is pretty awesome).  I'm certain the kids will have plenty of whack-a-doodle things going on for me to post.  Until then I'll go surf Etsy and wait impatiently for Steam to have their summer sale (supposedly to start June 23-July 4 2016).

No comments:

Post a Comment