Monday, July 25, 2016

The Power of a Decision

What is the single force that controls the quality of your life?  The one thing that makes or breaks the way you approach a situation, thought or forward action?

Everything in our life changes when you commit to just one thing.  That one thing is CHOICE.

Most people, especially myself, get sidetracked by focus.  I focus on the wrong things all the time.  This, in turn, tells me that I'm not worthy of getting better information to make better decisions.

Why?

Because my focus is on the negative - the horrible media going on these days, the lousy job I think I have but if I really applied myself, could be something greater.  My physical condition that, let's face it, says those Sunday doughnuts are the end-all-be-all to my existence.

But does all this focus cause me to put one foot in front of another with zeal and possibility or does it make me dread the coming moments?

Precious moments are lost forever five minutes from now.

So really the choices I make each and every moment of my life determine how my life will become greater and greater.

One choice I have is to decide what makes me afraid and to deal with it.  Why do I have these fears that manifest themselves into daily nightmares?  The future.  Success.  The fear of failing my family.  The fear of dying some horrible death, or worse, my family dying all around me.

Yep.  I have all those.

I remember Basic Training was absolutely the most fearful time of my life - just out of high school, never pushed myself to excel at anything, comfortable in the family fears that I had adjusted to -  being abused by uncles time and time again.  Yes, abuse is comforting in a very real sense because repetition trains your mind to accept the practice as "normal." So, the Army rocked my world with the stratagem of  training by dictating within me a different ground-shaking, soul-reaching mentality.
No fear.  No holding back.  In your face.

The Army has a way of showing you that to overcome a limitation in your mentality you need to get extremely physical, thus, the 2 mile run to clear your head, the push-ups to keep your focus, the situps to push the negative out of your belly which has a life force of its own - all these with intense "just do it!" attitude which has a way of making you look hard into a mirror.

So, if I don't like my job, I need to change it.  If I am afraid of success by writing a block-buster novel, I then need to surround myself with positive thinking people or media which then leads to positive actions.  Make decisions that create a greater good for myself and those around me.  Give a hug to someone every day.  Do a good deed every day.  Immerse myself in goodness and look at the negative as a choice of whether I want to engage or not and not make it the standard way of seeing the world in the One Shot that God has given me.  Is there a better way to think about a situation other than what I'm currently thinking?  Is there a better avenue to change a deeply learned trait that has taken me absolutely nowhere?

I'm pretty sure there is.  Now to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment