Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Southern-ness 101 : They Law or They Lawd

I was born and raised in the south.  That's not a bad thing.  It doesn't mean I'm an uneducated hillbilly in overalls, barefoot and pregnant in the dirt floor kitchen grinding wheat for flour.  However, we do have a colorful language that most people, those not raised here, understand.

I've decided to throw in some gems.  Lynita may, as well.  These are not specific to any race but are things that I've heard time and time again.  Mostly when I was young, so bare with me.  Definitions are relative because that's another thing we're good at down here, creating a whole other definition of a word no one else understood to begin with.

They Law or They Lawd:  This is a phrase used when you are shocked by an incident. Similar to "I never".

Also has been heard as "laaaaaw" or "they laaaaw".  The amount of a's and a-emphasis depends on how shocking the event was. 

Used in a sentence: (To do this properly in a southern way, you must do this with a drawl and pronounce the name Loretta=lO-retta, police=pO-lees and garage=gare-aj.

Mama 1: Did you hear about Loretta?
Mama 2: Why, no! I sure didn't.
Mama 1: Lord, honey, she's done called the police on that nephew of hers for taking a rake out of her garage.
Mama 2: THEY LAAAW! She's done lost her mind.  Now, that sweet baby just wanted to rake some leave; ain't nothing wrong with that.

This is the first in my series of Southern-ness 101. If you like it, comment.  If you have questions or suggestions, comment about that too. :)

8 comments:

  1. I was born and raised in the South. I've never heard: They laaaaw.

    I've always said and heard: Laaaaaw.

    It means about the same thing.

    Thanks for this. I can't wait to look at the rest when I have time, and I'm not feelin' like *who done it.
    * Have you ever heard that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I was born and raised in the South. Unlike all of my family, I went to Auburn. All other family members went to Vandy or UT.
    I've never heard: They Laaaaw.
    I've always heard and used: Laaaaaw. It pretty much has the same meaning.
    Example: Laaaaw, and she looked like *who done it!
    * Have you ever heard that one?
    I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your Southerness 101 when I can sit a spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOooo Go Dawgs! We lived in Savannah for a while and in Perry so we got around but loved it down there. I forgot I even had this blog going to be honest, it's been ages since I just sat with it. Thanks for your comments!!! <3

      I have heard who done it LOL Yep. Like "Did ya'll see all those lights goin off down there in the holler last night? Somebody done set a haybale on fire and run off. They don't know who done it but probably them neighbor kids that don't know no better. Bless 'em."

      HAHA

      Delete
  3. Sorry! I kept getting a prompt to sign in. So, I did...three dang times, I guess! Opppsy-daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah Blogger's in need of a big ole update. I thought about going to wordpress but I've got SO much on here lol

      Delete
  4. I spent my teenage years in Upstate SC and fondly remember my grandmother using ‘They Law’ quite often. (and Lawd, as in ‘Lawd have mercy’). I moved there from Savannah and was quite surprised to learn that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Savannah has their own dialect too. :D We lived there for a couple of years, on Tybee, and loved it.

      Delete
  5. I have had a couple of individuals comment here recently and that's lovely. However, if you would like to comment do not try to post a link. It will be immediately deleted. You clearly do not own the website you are repeatedly posting. Be kind, pls.

    ReplyDelete